Hot Dogs are good anyway you decide to have them. So, in a nod to the American staple of Coney dogs, here is my take on a coney meat sauce.
What you will need:
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 cup of white onion, thinly diced
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1 teaspoon worceterschire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 pack of Koegels beef franks (any brand of beef frank will do)
- 8 pack of hot dogs
How to make the sauce:
Step 1: Combine ground beef, onion, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, worcetershire sauce, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and give it a good mix.
Step 2: Heat up a pan on high. Once hot add meat sauce mixture. Stir often. You’ll know it’s cooked when meat is browned and you have a meaty-liquidy consistency.
How to make dogs and buns:
Step 1: Heat up water in a pot. Once boiling add the dogs.
Step 2: Put a stainless steel mixing bowl over boiling pot and put buns on bowl to steam and soften them up. Or you can just place them on a plate with a paper towel over them and microwave them for 45 seconds.
What it will cost:
- 1 pound of ground beef at the grocery store was $3.00
- I bought 0.75 pound white onion at the store for $1.69. I used 100 grams. Total cost for this dish is about 0.49 cents.
- Heinz ketchup at the store was $2.88 for 32 oz. I used 1/3 of a cup. Total cost for this dish is about 0.21 cents.
- Heinz mustard at the store was $1.77 for 20 oz. I used 1/4 of a cup. Total cost for this dish is about 0.20 cents.
- Great value white vinegar at the store was $0.66 for 16 oz. I used 1/4 of a cup. Total cost for this dish is about .08 cents.
- Heinz worcestershire sauce at the store was $1.98 for 18 oz. I used 1 teaspoon. Total cost for this dish is about 0.02 cents.
- 8 koegel all beef franks at the store were $4.09
- 8 hot dog buns at the store were $1.35
Total cost of meal is $9.44
This meal perfectly serves 4 people. So, cost per serving would be $2.36